Christmas is a time for giving. Cause4 thought it a ripe and fitting time to celebrate 12 of the greatest philanthropists of 2012. These fine givers should inspire us all when it comes to making New Year’s resolutions in the coming days:
1. Joe Hart – world-renowned footballer Joe Hart gave valuable time to give a young supporter fighting cancer, a wonderful football experience.
2. David Hockney – this acclaimed artist donated artwork worth £76.5 million to The David Hockney Foundation.
3. Martin Lewis – founder of entrepreneurial Moneysavingexpert.com sold his stake in the company and gave a proportion direct to charity.
4. Will.i.am – pioneering Pea, Will.i.am, has proven himself to be a prolific giver on both sides of the pond. He recently made a half million pound donation to The Prince’s Trust.
5. Chris Moyles – the loudmouth former Radio 1 DJ is celebrated by Cause4 for raising in excess of £10.4 million during his tenure as host of The Breakfast Show.
6. Jose Mujica – UK politicians could do worse than follow the example of this South American statesman who gives 90% of his income and assets to charity, while he himself leads a frugal farmhouse lifestyle.
7. Lady Gaga – this meat-clad diva is providing an inspiring role model to fans across the world through the establishment of her Born this Way Foundation, that works to create a more equal and tolerant society in America and overseas.
8. John Caudwell – his charity ‘Caudwell Children’ has pledged millions to help children, both in the UK and Africa, as well as supporting a host of other wire-reaching charities.
9. Natalya Vodiamova – her beauty is not only on the outside, Vodiamova founded the Naked Heart Foundation in a bid to provide Russian children with a safe place to play.
10. Mo Farah – after inspiring a generation on the track at London 2012, Farah is now fast-tracking life-saving aid to some of the millions of people facing starvation and disease in East Africa.
11. Mark and Priscilla Zuckerberg – the Facebook founder gets a massive ‘Like’ from Cause4 for his recent philanthropic giving, as well as signing the Gates-Buffett Giving Pledge, Zuckerberg has just committed $500 million in Facebook stock to a Silicon Valley charity that supports health and education projects.
12. Father Christmas – festive philanthropist Father Christmas has perfected his giving over the last 1300 years to become the world’s most reliable giver. He is our final philanthropist of the year.
Cause4 wishes you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We look forward to following more festive giving in 2013.